Monday 16 January 2012

Camera Obscuras

This is work from my latest project. It is for the sculpture unit on my foundation course. The brief is to base my work on one of the "5 senses". I opted for sight.
Design ideas for a mini camera obscura.
Time-lapse of a camera obscura I constructed in my living room. Inspired by the work of Abelardo Morell.

The photo above was taken with a homemade attachment that resembles a mini camera obscura/kaleidoscope. It consists of a long card tube covered at one end with only 4 pinholes to let the light in. Roughly halfway down the tube a circular screen made of tracing paper is placed, this is where the upside down image appears. After an exposure of a few seconds I was left with this grainy, unclear, upside down, kaleidoscopic image of the house across the road.